About our AmeriCorps VISTA Cohort
For more than two decades, Strong City has been a proud sponsor of the AmeriCorps VISTA program. Strong City sponsors a diverse selection of projects that build and strengthen vibrant urban communities throughout Baltimore City and across Maryland.
Our members develop K-12, college, and career opportunities for at-risk youth, create access to healthy options through community organizing and gardening, improve programming that empowers refugees and the homeless, and much more.
To learn about the Strong City VISTA Cohort and the current VISTA projects, click here.
Strong City VISTA is currently accepting applications for the following positions:
Southwest Partnership – Communication Coordinator: Neighborhoods in Southwest Baltimore have experienced the harmful effects of job loss and a shrinking population. Help address these challenges through improved communication and access to resources! For more information, contact. CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
29th Street Community Center – Community Mobilizer: Help empower the Barclay and Greater Greenmount communities by expanding resources for programming and developing a community taskforce! CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
Baltimore Leadership School for Young Women – Alumni Support Coordinator: Develop and implement an alumnae support program to ensure that graduates of BLSYW transition smoothly to college, become self-advocates, and are equipped to achieve academically and socially. CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
Bard High School Early College – Volunteer and Family Engagement Project: Make an enduring contribution to the fight against poverty by enhancing family and community involvement in the student’s academic life and promoting family engagement! CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) Prince George’s County – Marketing & Recruitment Coordinator: Are you moved to help youth transition out of foster care with necessary resources and ease? Join CASA and help create sustainable social capital for this program helping foster youth. CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
Charm City Clinic – Site Expansion Coordinator: Expand access to care with the establishment of a new neighborhood clinic! CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
Crossroads Community Food Network – Food Business Resource Coordinator: Develop a new microenterprise business resource to assist low-income food entrepreneurs, farmers and producers in the DC Metro Area! CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
Baltimore Youth Arts – Studio Apprentice Program Coordinator: Create a system to effectively connect transitioning youth to the Baltimore Youth Arts Community Studio and entrepreneurship program. CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
How to Apply to be a VISTA Member
All interested applicants must complete an online myAmeriCorps application. Go to my.americorps.gov and click “apply to serve” to register and begin your application. A complete application requires two references, so be sure to request those early. Please do not send cover letters or resumes unless requested; only online applications will be considered. Qualifying applicants will be interviewed by both Strong City staff and the service site before final decisions are made.
Strong City-Sponsored VISTAs serve full time for a period of one calendar year. All VISTA positions require full time dedication, often with responsibilities in the evening and on weekends.
VISTAs are required to attend a mandatory Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) prior to beginning their year of service. All lodging and travel costs to and from PSO will be covered by the Corporation for National Community Service (CNCS).
- VISTAs receive a living allowance set at 105% of the poverty line for the city in which they will be serving as well as monthly transportation reimbursement.
- VISTAs also have the opportunity to enroll in an AmeriCorps Health Allowance (supplemental to health insurance), to apply for SNAP (food stamps), childcare assistance, and other benefits if eligible.
- Strong City provides an On Site Orientation & Training (OSOT) at the start of the term and monthly Professional Development Meetings (PDMs) tailored to the VISTA cohort. Training topics have included volunteer management, sustainable project planning, grant writing and reporting, effective communication, and community organizing, among others. Our in-service trainings are an opportunity for team-building and resource sharing among our VISTA members and are often described as a highlight of the service experience through Strong City.
- If relocating more than 50 miles to serve, the VISTA will be considered to receive a travel allowance depending on the distance (not to exceed $1,000) and settling-in allowance (not to exceed $550).
- Finally, upon successful completion of the term, VISTAs choose to receive either an Education Award of $5,550 or Cash Stipend of $1,500. The Education Award, which is subject to taxation, can be applied to any federally backed student loan or used to pay school tuition in the future. After serving, VISTAs have one year of non-competitive eligibility for federal employment.
For detailed information about AmeriCorps VISTA, including member benefits, please click here.
All applicants are required to fill out an online application with CNCS and, if selected, provide proof of age, social security number, and citizenship. All selected candidates are required to complete a federal criminal background check and child abuse clearance before beginning service.